Disclaimer – I have edited this post a bit to reflect a bit less personal self criticism. My Mama didn’t like that I was putting down her baby’s mama-ness.
It’s time for me to admit to a few things…
– I’m scared of baby poop. At least prior to the plop-able kind (in case you didn’t know, plop-able poop is the utmost appreciated by Cloth Diapering parents.) If it’s not plop-abe I can guarantee I’ll be shrieking the second I open that diaper. I can usually be found screaming “HUBS” and getting the following response: “Let me guess, she pooped?” He’s got like, ESPN or something. My explanation for this is simple – The Hubs is just less scared of poop, so thus I get away with being squeamish. Kinda like how we’re both scared of spiders, but The Hubs is scareder (?) so I get to kill them when they show up in our house.
– Actually I’m just scared of all diapers. I change maybe five diapers a week. And that’s stretching it. Days will go by when I don’t change a diaper. So as much as I have this major obsession with our cloth diapers, I rarely use them. I do fold them though! (and I buy them!) Okay, so I’m not really scared of changing her diaper…I just rarely do it. Not because I don’t want to (unless it’s a poop diaper, then I don’t want to). The Hubs is just better at it.
– Most of the time I don’t wake up first. When Aria wakes up at night, I’m usually still asleep until The Hubs brings her to me if she needs to nurse. This is really saying something, since her crib is on my side of the room. I need to work on that.
– I know for a fact that if I ever get pooped on, I would have a hissy fit. Seriously. I don’t know how The Hubs has dealt with being pooped on.
– I’m 99% positive that Aria finds all the above very funny, leading her to think it’s awesome to spit up on me every single day. Does she spit up on The Hubs? Rarely.
– I have zero soothing abilities, minus The Boob. The Hubs can get Aria to sleep by rubbing her back, or snuggling with her. I just get screamed at until The Boob is properly positioned. Maybe the Boob is just uber soothing? (UPDATE: I officially soothed Ariadne to sleep by rubbing her back! Officially consider this confession retracted)
– I’m not the best at playing. I get on the floor and crawl around, sing songs and blow raspberries. But The Hubs, he’s just sooooo good with her. He’s like a grown up companion for her. Their playing sessions are endless.
It’s currently up for debate as to whether the above thoughts are due to our primary caregiver situation or my personality.
Maybe a little of both?
The point is though, not all Dad’s hand over the baby when he/she poops. And not all Mom’s wake at the first whimpering sound. Luckily we balance each other out (and thank goodness The Hubs always has my back with the poop – Honey, I’ll try to always have your back when it comes to the spiders…unless they’re bigger than a nickel…all bets are off after that)