If you could have one superpower, what would it be, and why? (and yes, I am going to ignore the month long hiatus I’ve just taken and not bother with explanations)
This is something that I’ve been asked many times over my 26 years, and every single time I’ve been stumped. Every possible answer seems so trivial. Walk through walls – so I can rob a bank. X-ray vision – BOOBS (said a man.) Flying – I could get somewhere faster!
They’re all so trivial, and OBVIOUS. And I’m anything but trivial and obvious. I’ve never come up with an answer good enough.
It came to me all of a sudden the other day when I had a truly profound moment. I know, I sound so…profound by saying that. But I did. I had one of those moments in life where you want to shout from the rooftops and jump for joy, your heart free.
I had one of those moments you wish you could relive over and over, just to experience that euphoria, and not simply the memory, over and over.
And that’s when I realized it. If I could have any superpower, I would want the ability to relive moments. Moments of my choice (since I’m the superhero and all, I do get to decide that, you know) and enjoy them at my beck and call.
They would call me Profound Moment Girl.
Naturally, I began to think of all of the moments I would relive. These are a just a few of the ones I came up with.
– Seeing the total solar eclipse with my family in Germany circa 1999. Night in the middle of the day. My skin crawls with the creepy-ness of how awesome it was.
– The moment I turned the corner to my senior year government class at 5am on the day we were starting our lesson on dictatorships. I may not have been the only one who had plans to take over our class that morning to solidify their Dictatorship. But I was the first one there. (I will however, refrain from reliving the moment two days later when I had to step down from my mock dictatorship because I was apparently too good at it) In case you were wondering, I also orchestrated the elaborate assassination of our monarchy during a different lesson. I was really into government.
– The moment I saw my first (and so far only) positive pregnancy test and the moment 9 months later, when I met that little person.
– The first time I laid real-life eyes on The Hubs the first time he came to visit me. I still get butterflies just thinking about it.
– The first time I heard Ariadne laugh because she thought something was funny, not just because she was reacting to us.
– Having my friend Brittany say that my new hair cut made me look like a superhero version of myself. Umm awesome much?!
So what was that profound moment that made me realize my superhero power of choice?
– The moment that I realized that I could just be myself. That I didn’t have to worry about if someone liked me, or if they didn’t. The moment I realized that I actually really liked myself and that that was so much better than trying to make people like me. Realizing that I spent the majority of my life trying to fit myself into other people’s lives was like a light bulb going off in my head. How did it take me this long to figure this crap out?!
So in true get to know you fashion. What moments would YOU relive? I know you can’t beat my Dictatorship Takeover, but I encourage you to try.